Hanlon's razor, never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Hanlon’s razor is a principle or rule of thumb that states, “never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity”.[1] Known in several other forms, it is a philosophical razor that suggests a way of eliminating unlikely explanations for human behavior. It is likely named after Robert J. Hanlon, who submitted the statement to a joke book. Similar statements have been recorded since at least the 18th century.

When it comes to remote working, misunderstandings can arise due to the fact that one cannot explain oneself directly. In this case, apply the Hanlon rule. It thus comes down to considering either that it is simpler and therefore more plausible to assume stupidity rather than malice, the former being more likely in general, or that it is useless to add the conjecture of malicious intent to that of lack of competence.

• I believe it is true
  • I do not believe in this
  • I am not sure
  • thats’ interesting

0 voters

Wikipedia contributors, ‘Hanlon’s razor’, Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 30 November 2020, 16:54 UTC, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hanlon’s_razor&oldid=991545390 [accessed 7 December 2020]

I quite agree with that, but I would generally replace the word “stupidity” by “ignorance”, in a work environment, more common.